Zylmor, Dromdrevc and life as it is

Writing - both fiction and non-fiction, really bad poetry, photos, paintings and stuff


Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers

Feb 17, 2013

stick around

Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4

20110108_16_2

When we get tired and all around us seems despondant and "what's the point!" I think of people who tirelessly spread the message of the Good News not just in oratory fashion but in the way they live their life. Henry F Lyte coined the phrase -

"It is better to wear out than rust out"

and that spurs me on to get over prevailing tiredness, shake it off and live. There is a lady from a neighbouring village who tirelessly campaigns for the poor in the environs, She will do anything for anyone and keeps it all confidential. A person will arrive at her door day or night and tea is made, homemade scones brought out and most importantly a listening ear is present. She has her own troubles but keeps them to herself and just gives, gives of her time and expertise to get people to the right person to help them. She is a shining light in the darkness.

There is a boy I know who in his school is known as formidable, not because he goes around beating people up but because he quietly erradicates bullying in his known quarter. He just helps other children get on with life without the distraction of bullying. He has known loss in his life and is determined to try to get boys particularly, to the end of their schooling without turning a certain way.

There are people who campaign for social injustice, racial equality, the environment, the poor the needy etc. etc. but if they only work, do works without faith, they have not known the love of God that pours down on us. All of us can spread the good news - not from some pulpit on television to a mass congregation but in our interactions on a one-to-one basis.

I was talking to someone last night outside a nightclub entrance and they were able to share a bit of their faith to another person because our conversation was "our normal" if we had been reticent or followed the rules of don't talk about 'religion' this would not have happened. It was great to hear and witness.

Abide with me, a hymn by Henry Lyte, was written at the end of his life, finalised on a voyage to sunny climes.The hymn has since been popular within many Christian denominations. It was reported to have been a favorite of King George V, and of Mahatma Gandhi. It is sung before kick off at every FA Cup Final and Rugby League, and at various annual celebrations in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom. It has been recorded by various jazz and gospel music artists, and has been included in the soundtrack of no less than 10 movies and television shows, including Shane and Touched by an Angel. 

Henry Lyte spent his youth and young man life in Ireland, attending Trinity and returning to get his masters there. He was a poorly chap, his lungs were not in good shape but he lived a quiet life and mananged to get to his 50's before he died. 

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;

the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

 

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;

earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;

change and decay in all around I see;

O thou who changest not, abide with me.

 

I need thy presence every passing hour.

What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?

Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?

Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

 

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;

ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.

Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?

I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

 

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;

shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.

Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;

in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

No comments: